Women’s tennis takes lead out of doubles, but falls to Drew, 7-2
HUNTINGDON, Pa. – Juniata College women's tennis carried a pair of doubles matches to take an initial 2-1 lead over Drew University, but couldn't find the needed wins in singles play and fell to the Rangers, 7-2, Saturday at Raffensperger Tennis Courts.
Juniata's no. 3 double team of Lisa Hauptman (Lorsch, Germany/Alfred-Delp-Schule) and Cara Stough (Friendsville, Md./Northern Garrett) posted an 8-3 win over Drew's Sarit Ashkenazi and Cristine Conde for the Eagles' first point. Megan Phillips (Jefferson Hills, Pa./Thomas Jefferson) and Heather Waring (San Antonio, Texas/John Jay) followed up with an 8-5 victory at no. 1 doubles, taking out the Rangers' Sofia Madrigal and Zoe Childs.
However the Eagles could not sustain their lead in singles play, dropping all six singles matches. Hilary Walsh (Waynesboro, Pa./Waynesboro Area) had the most spirited contest for the Eagles, battling Drew's Cristine Conde to the supertiebreaker before falling 6-0, 6-7 (7-8), 10-7.
Juniata returns to the courts on Monday, April 9, when the Eagles host Moravian College in a make-up date of their match postponed earlier this season.
Drew University 7, Juniata College 2
1. Chelsea Lipp (DREW) def. Lisa Hauptman (JUN) 6-2, 6-1
2. Sarit Ashkenazi (DREW) def. Heather Waring (JUN) 6-1, 6-1
3. Sofia Madrigal (DREW) def. Megan Phillips (JUN) 6-4, 6-4
4. Zoe Childs (DREW) def. Stacie Beegle (JUN) 6-0, 6-1
5. Deanna Williams (DREW) def. Cara Stough (JUN) 6-3, 6-1
6. Cristine Conde (DREW) def. Hilary Walsh (JUN) 6-0, 6-7 (7-8), 10-7
1. Megan Phillips/Heather Waring (JUN) def. Sofia Madrigal/Zoe Childs (DREW) 8-5
2. Chelsea Lipp/Deanna Williams (DREW) def. Stacie Beegle/Hilary Walsh (JUN) 8-2
3. Lisa Hauptman/Cara Stough (JUN) def. Sarit Ashkenazi/Cristine Conde (DREW) 8-3